I brought my porch plants in over the weekend. Since we’d had one frost scare with another coming up tomorrow, and the days getting shorter anyway, I figured it was time. So my plant window is crowded once again–the two resident plants, aloe and Christmas cactus, are accompanied by the bay and one of the pomegranates on the ledge itself, and the resident peace lily and the papyrus (which really needs dividing), the other pomegranate, and one of the cotton plants are on the seat below. This cotton plant is kind of spindly and has only one seed bud, but we’ll see how it goes in the winter, and if it survives maybe I’ll plant it in the garden in the spring and see if I can get some cotton–I don’t think I’m getting any this year from the plants I have.

The Meyer lemon is in quarantine, on the landing between the kitchen and the basement. It’s up against the door that theoretically leads to the side yard. We keep it closed and chained because it sticks and we don’t have the key to the lock. When we bought the house this wasn’t a big deal, but now I wish it worked, because it’s only steps away from what is now my herb garden and that would be very, very convenient. Fixing it is on the list of household jobs, but the list is so long and turnover is so slow I have no hopes of getting it done before we move.

The Meyer lemon is in quarantine because it still has scale. I’d been scraping it at intervals over the summer, but I gave up. It has two big green fruits on it, and I’m hoping and waiting for them to ripen. Then I’m going to cut it down to the ground (or close to it), since I observe the scale never goes on the brown lower parts of the wood, and see if it survives. I’m hoping this is one way to actually get rid of scale. If not, I’ll start over. The lemon knows this. I’m hoping it takes heed.

Advertisements