The farmer’s market was open-air today. There was a chilly wind so this wasn’t ideal, but still, they’ve opened up for the season. That’s marvelous. The full complement of vendors haven’t returned yet, but there are some new ones: a honey booth and an incense booth and several vendors with flowers and plants. I think that will be an excellent place to get flowers for the mothers for Mother’s Day. Maybe next weekend, to avoid the rush the weekend after.

While driving there–it’s three miles–I noticed a bee crawling around on my back windshield, on the inside. It must have been there since yesterday, since I had the windows open then and didn’t today. Well, I did once I spotted the bee, but it apparently liked being where it was. When I parked I got outside and pounded on the glass to get it to move, but it didn’t. I left the window cracked and told it to be gone by the time I came back.

The staunch All Seasons Produce, which has been there throughout the winter, was there with hydroponic strawberries and a variety of greens, including spinach. I bought spinach and onions, hoping that in a few weeks I won’t be buying spinach anymore. Across the way, a newly-returned vendor had plants galore: strawberries, tomatoes, herbs, broccoli, cabbage, pansies, viola, perennials. I bought two strawberry plants, a Silver Mound artemisia, and lavender cotton (yellow-blooming, despite the name). $4.50. I went to the Poultry House to get eggs and realized I was an idiot for not guying more–you can’t get plants this cheap anywhere else and I need more strawberries than two since mine are clearly not coming back. Ah well. I’m going back next week, after all.

There was no sign of the bee, even when I moved some things around to try and spot it. (My backseat is not a pigsty, but there’s more stuff in it than I would like. I blame Eric for at least half of it, since my car is also the “family” car so when we’re coming home from the symphony, or get a free poster at the bookstore, he chucks it in the back and never retrieves it. And then there’s the emergency pack and the blanket and the ice scraper and the heavy-duty flashlight. You don’t want to see his backseat.)

When I arrived home I put the plants outside to harden off, though this isn’t the best time to do so since it’s going to snow on Monday. Then I spent half an hour pottering around outside, pulling the occasional weed but mainly cheering for true leaves, pondering whether I should have put the broccoli where the Asian cabbage is (it’s doing the best of anything in the garden), admiring the flowers on the lungwort and the peach and the unknown tree by the front porch, and thinking about where I’m going to move various plants. Does it count as gardening if I didn’t get my hands and jeans dirty? In this case I’m going to say yes.